Thursday, April 24, 2014

7 Things: Favorite Movies

Last week I wrote out 7 goals and they had a small explanation behind them.  This week I'm going to tell you about my favorite movies. (I'm not very good at summarizing, so hopefully I do the movies justice.) 

House of D
I first saw this movie when I was in 8th grade.  I was on the phone with a friend and he told me to watch it.  I was instantly hooked.  I fell in love with the movie.  A year later, I introduced one of my other friends to it, and it became a favorite among us.  It's been eight years since then and I still love it.  I cry every time I watch it (Yes, I'm a crier.) and I was so happy the day that I bought it.  
House of D is about a young boy,Tommy, who is trying to find himself.  His best friend is Pappass, the janitor at his school.  His mother is over barring, and she really isn't ready for Tommy to grow up.  Tommy then meets Melissa.  Not being comfortable enough to go to his mother for advice, Tommy befriends a woman who is in the Woman's House of Detention.  She helps him ask out Melissa, and she helps him figure out what to do after his life is turned upside down. 

Seven Pounds
 This movie...I can't remember when I first saw this movie, but again I fell in love instantly.  Again this movie makes me cry every single time I watch it. 
Seven Pounds is about Ben Thomas, an IRS agent who is trying to find people who are good, who do good, and who deserve so much better than what they currently have.  He has a set plan.  He knows who he's going to help, and nothing can stop him.  Until he meets Emily.  He second guesses what he plans, but in the end goes on.
I don't want to give away too much, but seriously if you haven't seen this movie, please try to!

Gone With the Wind
I've loved this movie ever since I was a little girl.  I think  I was six or seven the first time I saw it, and I haven't stopped watching it since.  (Well I have, but you get the idea.)  It wasn't until two years ago that I read the book, which I recommend also, and fell in love even more.
Scarlett is a spoiled girl who gets everything she wants and every man she looks at falls in love, well every man except for Ashley.  Ashley is engaged to Melly, his cousin.  (His family likes to keep it in the family. Common back then.)  Unfortunately there is a war about to happen, and when it does all of the men go off to fight.  Scarlett being the girl she is, grabs the first man that would piss off the most girls, and marries him.  He dies even before the war starts.  A lot of things happen, and Scarlett ends up back at her beloved home, Tara, to find that it's just as sad as the rest of the South.  Scarlett goes to Rhett Butler for money, and later on she marries him.  Rhett is a very rich man, who is perfect for Scarlett, she has his child, and it isn't until after Melly dies that Scarlett realizes that she never loved Ashley, and that she is in fact in love with Rhett, but it's too late.  

Fast and Furious Series 
I stumbled upon the first and second movie in this series, when I was around 13 or so, and it's because of these movies that I have an appreciation for cars.  I own all of them.  I fell in love with the original cast, and when the third one came out, I was excited because Lucas Black was in it.  I love the casting, and the cars, and everything.  And I was heartbroken when I found out about Paul Walkers Death.
It's hard to summarize six movies...But basically 1, 2,4,5, and 6 follow Dom and Brian.  At first Brian was an undercover cop, who gets on the good side of Dom and his crew.  Brian ends up falling for Dom's sister, Mia.  Dom doesn't play by the rules, which gets him in trouble. etc. Enter Hobbs into the fifth movie, and you have lots of muscle, fighting, and cars. The third one is about Tokyo, with Lucas Black and Bow Wow.  At the end of the sixth movie, Tokyo is tied in, and now I'm waiting for the seventh to come out.   

Atonement
This movie.  I Love.  I know I keep saying that...But really...If you haven't seen this movie, you should.  At first  I thought it was confusing, really it isn't.  I'm also in love with the book.  (Surprise.)
Atonement is about Robbie Turner, Briony Tallis, and Cecilia Tallis.  Briony is 13 and she is a story writer.  She sees something between Cecilia and Robbie that she doesn't understand, and gets Robbie into a lot of trouble.  Robbie is sent to jail, and later on is let of because he enlists in the British Army.  The whole story is about how he finally is reunited with Cecilia and they finally get to have the love they deserve.  Briony, who is older now, understands what she did wrong and she does everything in her power to correct her mistakes...but it's actually too late. 

Monster
I found this movie on a whim.  This movie is raw.  It's based on a real woman, who had a very hard life. I've always had an interest in murders, and women who kill, etc.  This movie does make me cry.  It's just a sad story.  This movie deals with sexual assault, drug abuse, and violence.
Aileen Wuornos is a serial killer.  She had a  very hard life littered with abuse and drugs.  She became a prostitute at 13 and also became pregnant.  She moved to Florida,  where she became a prostitute to make a living, and it's also where she met Selby.  The started a relationship, and Aileen keep the prostitution and the killings a secret.  Selby eventually found out, and their relationship ended.  Later on Selby sold out Aileen, and she was sent to jail, and later on executed.

An American Crime
This movie is another violent movie.  So please keep that in mind.  I first saw this movie when I was in 11th grade, and I just couldn't get the movie out of my mind.  The thought that this could happen kills me a little, but, to me, it's good to know.  Evil does exist, even in small little towns.
An American crime follows the life of Sylvia Likens.  Her parents had little money, and they left her and her sister with a woman they had met at church.  Gertrude had six other children, and saw Sylvia and her sister as money. (Gertrude had a drug addiction.)   The oldest daughter, Paula, and Sylvia become instant friends, but later on Paula thinks that Sylvia is spreading rumors about her.  Gertrude then forces Paula to stand up and  basically smack some sense into her.  Then you think all is well.  Later on, the check from the father is late, and Sylvia is the one to take all of the backlash, which eventually turns into a disgusting, abusive, rip your heart out, torture.


I know some of these are a little dark, and most of them pull on your heart strings, but I can't help but love them.  I love them all for their own reasons, and some really expose the dark sides of this world.
If you decided to watch any do tell me what you think!
xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment