Thursday, April 17, 2014

7 Things: Goals


Last week I decided to end the "10 Things I wish I Had at This Very Moment" series, and I'm now replacing it with "7 Things."  This series is going the have a different theme to it every week, so for example this week is "7 Things I want to learn by this time next year."  

To Read/Write French. 
I've always loved the French language.  Some of my favorite movies are in French.  Even my number 1 movie has a little bit of French in it.  I would like to be able to watch the movies without the subtitles.  (Or at least barely needing them.)  The reason why I don't have speak French is because I already know that I would fail at that.  My sister took French in high school, and she has tried to teach me what she knows, but I just can't get the accents down.  I can't roll my r's for Spanish, and I can't say my r's in French either.  I want to be able to understand, and maybe mildly communicate back. 

Learn American Sign Language. 
Keeping with the Language goals, I would love to be able to communicate in ASL.  This one is a little selfish goal.  I don't know any deaf people but their language intrigues me.  Around where I live, not many people have ASL as a skill, and I really feel that if I get a job some where in a bigger city, it could help out a lot. I don't know, ASL has always interested me, ever since elementary school.  (The reason why I didn't take ASL in High School was because I wasn't "allowed."  I wasn't "smart" enough.) 

Play the Piano.
I don't know if your school did this, but when I was in elementary school, in music class, we had a section on keyboarding.  I never got past the right hand stage, but ever since I have always wanted to play.  When I was in middle school I played the clarinet, so I know how to read music, I'm just a little bit rusty.  I've always lightly tried to play, ever since I got a keyboard for Christmas when I was about 13, but I've never seriously practiced.  I know about two songs, and I play them pretty slowly.  I hope to get faster and better. 

Learn how to play Poker.
I don't really know why this is a skill I want.  I think it started when I was in one of my math classes in college and we had a section that included poker.  (My Professor was amazing.)  There were a few different card games that were being taught, and my group got poker. (I have since forgotten everything I learned.)  Ever since then, I've just wanted to seriously learn the game. 

Know how to Survive in the Wild. 
This might sound a little paranoid...but I've wanted to know how to live in the wild ever since I was in high school.  Mostly just to spit out facts that someone who knows me wouldn't believe I knew.  I don't seem like the person to care about survival skills, and I would like to have that surprise under my belt.  If something were to happen, then people would need me.  ( Totally selfish reasoning, I know.)  I'm sure nothing will happen, but I want to be able to at least try to survive before I die.  (Unless it is zombies, because I don't want to have to run from those things. Ew.) 

Know what plants/ berries/ mushrooms can and can't kill me. 
Keeping with the survival skills I would really like to know what I can and can't eat in the wild.  A long time ago, my grandma was visiting, and where she lived there was a mushroom that she could pick and eat, but here where I live, we have the identical trickster mushroom and the one she wanted.  She ended up getting sick.  I would like to prevent that kind of thing.  I grew up in the country, you would think I'd have this skill. (lol.) 

Sew.
I don't know how to sew.  I've done a few whip stitches in my time, but they were horrible.  I can't even sew on a button, I'm that bad.  I would like to be able to repair simple things, instead of having to run to my mom for everything.  I bought a pair of pants a few month back, that instantly ripped the second time I wore them, and it was too late to return them, so my mom sewed them up (factory malfunction, the fabric didn't line up properly while being sewn.) and they were like brand new.  It was amazing.  I want to be like that.  

So, I hope that you like my new series, and if you have any tips about any of the above, please send them my way!  
xx  

No comments:

Post a Comment