Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Recipe: Sweet and Sour Tempeh




I saw this odd looking brick of seeds in the grocery store the other day and I thought "What is that?"  so I went to my handy dandy Pinterest and looked up recipes for it, and I found this one.  I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but it's really not that bad.  Tempeh is a soy product, and to me it just tastes like dense nuts.  Now I halved the recipe, so down below is a 1/6th of a cup serving, since I don't have such a cup, I just eyeballed it with a 1/3 cup.  Pretty easy.  I also didn't include the peppers or the pineapple.  If you would like to do so it's 1 large green pepper seeded and diced, and 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks.  You add them to the recipe when you cook the tempeh.  

Ingredients: 
1 tbsp Soy Sauce 
1/2 tbsp Cornstarch 
1/6 cup Rice Vinegar 
1/8 cup Ketchup 
1 tbsp Brown Sugar 
1/4 cup Water 
1 tbsp Coconut Oil 
1 (8 oz) Package of Tempeh 
2 Garlic Cloves 
Cooked White Rice 


Directions: 


Whisk together the soy sauce, constarch, rice vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, and water.  Set aside. 


Slice the tempeh into slivers. 


Heat up the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add the tempeh.  Cook until beginning to brown.  Around 5-7 minutes.  


Whisk the sauce again, and then add it to the skillet,  Cook until the sauce has thickened.  Then for another 2 minutes.   


Serve over rice.


Enjoy!  

xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment