Thursday, December 12, 2013

How I stopped my Cold!

Yesterday I woke up with a stuffy nose and an itchy throat.   I instantly knew that I was getting sick and I kind of freaked out a bit because this weekend is my friend’s Christmas party and I didn’t want to miss it.  I instantly googled “how to prevent a cold” and I couldn’t do everything on the list because it wasn’t in the house, but I did as much as I could, and now I’m cold free. 
 On the site it told me to stay hydrated, get some vitamin C, gargle salt water, keep your nose clean, skip work, eat soup, do some light exercise, and eat protein.   I didn’t have soup, or vitamin C, and I’m not a fan of gargling salt water, so I just put in my own way of getting them. 
 What I did was drink Green Tea with Mint with a tablespoon of honey.  I had three cups.  I also drank four cups of Alka-Seltzer. (Recommended dosage is 1 cup every four hours.)  I also had 3 bottles of water throughout the day.  I was very hydrated.  I kept my nose clear by blowing it every so often, and I also slept pretty much all day.  I also had two servings of protein by eating eggs in the morning and fish at dinner. 
These steps worked for me because I caught my cold before the worst started to happen.  I’m so happy that I did catch it in time, not only because of the party I’m supposed to be going to this weekend, but because I always get sick this time of year and it takes me weeks to get over the cold.  When I was still in school, I would get sick right before finals and stay sick through all of the holiday break and then get better about two weeks in to the new semester.   
Now I know what to do next year. 
So, just remember to stay hydrated, keep a clear nose, and have some kind of medication like alka-seltzer, or emergen-c, or even an allergy tablet.  And hope you catch it in time. 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment