Monday, October 28, 2013

Sleeping Problems...



Ever since I was 13 years old, I have had trouble with my sleep schedule.  When I was still in school, it was always just until summer was over, but now it doesn’t matter what I’m doing.  My sleep pattern didn’t matter over the summer, but when it started interfering with my school, then it became a small problem.  My senior year of high school there would be times when I went to school without sleep and then as soon as I went home, I crashed.  I would soon wake up a little later and spend most of the night up.  It was a horrible cycle that for a small time I thought that I had fixed, but once I graduated the 6am wake up time just went away. 


When I started college I got to pick the times when I had class and I picked the times that went around my sleeping disorder.  No morning classes, all night classes.  I did that for three years, and over those three years my sleeping problem got worse.  I started using OTC sleeping pills and they worked for a little while, until I developed a tolerance to them.  I was always switching the pills around and just ignoring everything that had to do with a proper sleep schedule.  


Here I am, 21 years old, and I still cannot sleep properly.  Things will work out for about a month or two, but then there will be one night where I go out with friends, or I just have too much energy, and I won’t be able to fall asleep until 3 am, and the cycle just starts all over again.  I just recently decided that I can’t keep taking sleeping pills, and I have since stopped.  They’re not good for you and I just really need to fix it without excess pills.  



It’s not going very well, but eventually it will.  


 Also, anytime I talk about my sleeping problems I get the whole “Just lay down and go to sleep. Close your eyes.”  Or “turn everything off, and wait.”  But I guess what they don’t get is I can’t sleep in silence.  Sitting in silence makes me nervous and I kind of just lay there and freak out a little bit. 



Does anybody have any tips for getting to sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment